Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tis The Season...

... to discuss the pitfalls of dating in Boston. Now this isn't something I normally address for fear that the individuals who might be referenced could somehow blogstalk me (how is that even possible?), but this is a very objective review of my dating world as of late and draws upon my experiences with several charming individuals. To motivate me as I write this I am listening to Brahms 4-- inspirational on so many levels. I am so in love with him.

Boston. Such a lovely little place. Prior to moving here people told me about a few different things that I would love, be surprised by, and loathe with every fiber of my bean. Things like: the winter, the fall, the summer, the 4th of July, drivers, public transportation, the college town feel, the historical sites, the FOOD, every college girl walking around in the North Face Denali jacket and Uggs, and the Sox. Why didn't anyone tell me about the men? Am I bitter? No. Just surprised.

I don't have a lot of things to say about dating, but I want to share two things I have learned about the men here:

1. They're older. At first I was like-- oh my gosh this is so great because now they are so mature! No more 21-25 year old BYUers (which isn't a bad thing). So I thought this was a good "change." And then I found out #2.

2. They're non-committal. There's nothing more to say. I have gone out with, am friends with, have casually talked with a few individuals who display this tendency. In an effort to avoid the inevitable they talk themselves out of any semblance of commitment. I have sat and listened as they do this. WEIRD! But honestly, I've always had absolutely no affinity for math, so don't blame me for not putting #1 and 2 together.

Here's what I've learned about myself in this process:

1. I like to say that men are non-committal and dumb in an effort to make myself feel good. In reality, they probably aren't NC. They're picky, just like yours truly.

2. I act really confident and not awkward (the magical word) until I see the slightest sign of NC and then I turn into my favorite superhero: CAPTAIN AWKWARD. Then it isn't hard for them to make the full transition to NC.

3. I'm honestly just glad to have dating diversions. My life is way too dull without them. I mean honestly-- I play a FLUTE for like 6 hours every day. BORE-ING.

So how was that? Good, I hope.




And seriously.... if someone says "Singles Awareness Day" one more time I'm going to send them hate mail. Can you be any more annoying? Who cares!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I'm incredibly awkward to talk to, even if I know you well. I'm also very boring, BUT, I have an awesome recording of Brahms 4 I'm sending you now. I'm that awesome.